Tuesday, June 22, 2010

RUN!!!!!!

Last November my wife decided that she wanted to run a marathon. It was an item on her bucket list. Some friends of ours that happen to own the gym that we go to go to Duluth every year for the Grandmas Marathon. Janele runs it and Troy is there for support and whatever else she needs. Leesa asked me if I thought that it was something that she could/should do. I told her that it was so she started to train. She did amazing. She trained hard, dropped 20 pounds and got into great shape. It all came together last weekend when it was finally time for the run. The hotel that we stayed at was a stopping point for the shuttle that takes the runners up to Two Harbors for the beginning of the race which was nice because we could sleep in that much longer. We still had to be up at 4:45 a.m. so she could be on the bus at 5:30 a.m.
Troy and I brought our bicycles along and rode the course from Duluth up to mile 20 so we could meet our wives and give them their needed supplements and whatever else they desired. After Leesa stopped and I gave her her necessities I had to take off back to the hotel to drop off my bike in order to get to the finish line to see here cross. Which she did at approximately the 5hr and 30min mark. In the grand scheme of things some people may not think that that is a great time but I for one think it is fantastic. She did a phenomenal job. In my opinion anyone that can run for 26 miles gets my utmost respect and admiration.
Also, I generally tend to stay away from people and I despise crowds but I was very impressed with how organised things were there and how entertained I was by just watching people run. There are alot of things to and alot of things to see. I would be tempted to go even if my wife wasn't running in it. So next year if you're trying to think of something to do for Fathers Day weekend check out the Grandmas Marathon in Duluth. It's a pretty good time.
Oh, I almost forgot. Check out "The Duluth Grill" too. They have some amazing food that is actually good for you. I can't remember the address but it is right off of 35 and I think that it is by a Motel 6.
The Iowa ABATE Freedom Rally in Algona Iowa is coming up in a few weeks for all of you Midwestern bikers out there. If you've never been to it check that out too. I'll be there just like every year.
Enjoy the day!

No comments: