Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Vegas and a Round Oak

Ok, so it's been a while since I've been here but I've been busy. I'll start with our trip to Vegas. My wife and I went out to Vegas for Memorial weekend for a friends wedding. I've been to Vegas before and I love it. Nevermind the fact that I hate crowds and am not a fan of people. Something about that town makes me happy. I think that it's the big ornate buildings and the fact that I can walk down the sidewalk with a beer and don't get hassled by the fuzz. My friend Scott got married to his lovely fiancé Ammber. I suppose now she would be his wife but at the time she was still his fiancé. I did learn a valuable lesson though. Never go on memorial weekend when there is a UFC pay per view fight as well as a UFC Fan Expo in town. It was like the perfect storm. Too many people and too many drunken college idiots trying to be tough for all of the little girls walking around trying to catch a glimpse of the juiced up meat-head with the Ed Hardy shirt. There I got that out of my system. A good time was had though, and I will go back. Just not on a holiday weekend.

Now lets move on to our next adventure. Every now and then my wife works for an auction service and this past weekend was one of those times. She told me that there was a Hoosier hutch there that she might want to buy and she wanted me to come and look at it with her to know how I felt about it. Now, I love antiques and this cabinet was no exception. It was in great shape and I gave her my stamp of approval. Needless to say we ended up buying it and we both couldn't be happier. Not to mention how excited we both are to restore it.
Before I left the auction to go work on the farm she asked me if there was anything else that I might be interested in. I noticed an old cast iron pot belly stove. I said that I liked the stove but knew that they usually go for quite a price so I joked and said "If it goes for 10 dollars or less I would take it". Well to my surprise about 3 hours later I got a call and was told that I just bought a stove...for 5 dollars! I was ecstatic! Apparently since it was raining there were very few people at the auction so no one was there to bid on it. Either that or no one wanted to move it. So now I get to restore this stove as well. It's looking like between the hutch and the stove my wife and I have our free time in the summer spoken for now. I'll just have to take some motorcycle trips to wherever they have parts that I can buy for our purchases. Here are a few pics of the doors on my stove.

Enjoy the day!

No comments: